Wednesday, July 21, 2010

1st Bootcamp session...completed!

So, last night after work I hopped on my bike and rode down to Prince's Island to meet up with some great Calgarians and to get my ass whooped: it was the first session of Bootcamp, hosted by the enthusiastic & wonderful Terri Champagne (www.champagnefitness.com)

First things first - Terri introduced us to the importance of posture. If you've done yoga or pilates before, you're probably very aware of these things: head placement/alignment, pelvic & abdominal strength to promote alignment and shoulder blade placement.  Seems simple enough.  Try it!  I think having my awareness brought to these things has just made any and all of my workouts more challenging.  Something as simple as the squat has taken on a new meaning!  I'm excited to continue exploring posture and how it affects my strength training.

Least favorite part? Well, if you know me even half-an-ounce you'd know it's running. I don't just hate running, I loath it...I avoid it with every inch of my being. I know that it's a great way to get into shape quickly - in fact, I even joined a running group once in hopes I would be compelled to enjoy the sport. Nope. Still hate it.  Needless to say, Terri did a phenomenal job of balancing out the activities. Bootcamps I have participated in have always been 80% running, and I was thrilled to see it as a component to our workout, but not the focus of it.

All of that aside, I had a chance to put some faces to some Calgary tweeps I've been connecting with. Hope to have more of a chance to chat as the weeks go on (had to sneak away abruptly, Rob was meeting me at Eau Claire for a movie...that we didn't get tickets for...bah!).  It's super challenging to meet new people as an adult in this city if it's not at work...so I'm pumped to be getting out there and meeting everybody!

Excited for the challenges that lie ahead,

Jody

2 comments:

  1. I am really happy that you found the postural discussion so informative, I ALWAYS start new classes addressing this very important topic. I believe that if you are going to do any movement at all you should learn to do it properly to lessen the chance of creating future anatomical dysfunction. I think you did a great job last night, and am really excited to work further with you on your fitness goals! Thanks for writing this great post =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I'm not the only one that hates running! I get strange looks when I tell people that, but I don't think it's that weird.
    Sounds like it's going to be a great bootcamp, you guys are going to have a blast and get fit! :)
    And Jody, I totally agree about it being difficult to meet new people as an adult in the city - that's why I'm still so disappointed that work scheduled me all evenings and I'm missing the camp. Ah well, maybe in the fall :)
    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete